Customise Page Path (URL)
Set your page URL in new Google Sites
Specify a custom URL for a page
- Open the right-hand Pages panel
- Use the three-dot more actions menu on the right of the page title
- Choose the Properties option then ADVANCED
- Enter the page URL you want in the Custom path
- Use DONE to set the path
- You cannot use spaces in a custom path, they will get automatically replaced with dashes (hyphens - ) and you can start a path with a dash
- You can only use alphanumeric characters in a path and any other characters will display an Invalid path error
- You can set the path when you create or copy a page
When to use this feature?
We've received lots of feedback asking when would this feature be useful and what's an example use-case scenario when you want to give a page a customized path (URL).
The custom path allows you to set your page title to something longer than your URL and to keep the URL short and punchy, so the article we have just made has the page title of Customise page URLs (Path) which meant new Google Sites would set its URL to
https://horizon.steegle.com/google-sites/how-to/customise-page-urls-path (new Google Sites makes the page URL by making everything lowercase and replacing spaces with dashes)
Since we can customise the page's URL this feature has allowed us to set the path to something much shorter and to the point.
It also allows you to get more keywords in for search engine optimisation (SEO): you could have different words in the URL to the page title therefore including more keywords in both the page's title and the page's path (URL). This brings us one step closer to classic Google Sites migration to new Sites as classic Sites offered the ability to ste the page path and without this setting in new Sites pages with customized paths would have had unpredictable migrations.